Skip to main content

Minutiae Break: The Agbayani List

So I started to write a blog about Game 3 of the 2000 NLDS, but I got bored rather quickly. My thinking was that rehashing this game wasn't going to be anything special, because it is such a well-known contest in Mets history. I don't have a particularly good story about watching the game, other than that I was at work, and when the Mets won, a Phillies fan termed their post-game celebration excessive.

Then I discovered something. In the beginning of my writing, I had misspelled the last name of the man who hit the walk-off home run that won that particular game. My initial spelling of his name was "Agbyani," which thus was missing an "a"

As someone who works in sports media (and was 5th grade class spelling champ at PS 190), I know the value of spelling . I have had a number of spelling encounters (though none with Aaron or Tori) over the years. When I was 12, I pointed out a flea-market forgery to my dad when I noticed someone selling a photo signed "Mickey Mantel." I'm fascinated by the number of people who think of the former Orioles shortstop as Cal Ripkin Jr. (Paul White of Sports Weekly wrote a great piece on that subject a few years ago).

So it occurred to me that there are a good number of Mets, who over the years have been the victims of bad spellings. I sought to find a few. Baseball-Reference.com was one resource because it actually has a section for misspellings on its player pages. Google was another source, as I found 131 hits for "Benny Agbyani."

So without further ado, I present "The Agbayani List," a tribute to Mets with tricky-to-spell names from A to Z. Now you too can conduct your own Mets spelling bee.

Tommie Agee: Often forgotten fact, lost in the two great catches he made in Game 3 of the 1969 World Series is that Agee homered to lead off the Mets first inning, giving them all the scoring they would need. ("Tommy Agee" -- 1,879 Google hits)

Joe Grzenda: Only two players in MLB history have had their last name start with the letters "Grz." Raise your hand if you knew Joe Grzenda (11 games pitched with the 1967 Mets) and Mike Grzanich (1 IP with the 1998 Astros). And on that note, former Met Rick Trlicek is the only MLB player to start his last name with "TRL." ("Joe Grezenda" -- 1 Google hit)

Gregg Jefferies: I once misspelled Gregg's last name on one job assignment. I left out a letter in his last name (in between "f" and "r"). My boss told me afterwards: You get an "E" for that error. Very clever on his part. ("Gregg Jeffries" -- 947 Google hits)

Ryan McGuire: Next to "Ripkin," the most commonly misspelled name I've seen in the non-sports sector is "Mark McGuire." Chances are they weren't looking for the ex-Met (1 game in 2000). ("Ryan McGwire" -- 516 Google hits).

Doug Mientkiewicz: If we can coax the NL into starting the "Designated Fielder" position, maybe Doug would come back next year. (many variations, most notably "Doug Mintkayvich" -- 3 Google hits)

Jeff Musselman: I can still remember clear as a bell how I found out that the Mets traded Mookie Wilson. The WFAN update anchor that day teased the deal going into the break stating that "The Mets get some muscle, man." What a disappointment. ("Jeff Mussleman" -- a whopping 1,520 Google hits)

Ron Swoboda: This would have been a good newspaper headline/tongue twister after his catch in Game 4 of the 1969 World Series: "Swoboda's Swagger: Swift Swipe."("Ron Swaboda" -- 249 Google hits)

Marv Throneberry: When I was a little kid, I used to think his name was "Thornberry." Sad but true: I also used to think that "Babe Ruth" was the name of a city in Lebanon from hearing about it on the news so much. ("Marv Thornberry"-- 153 Google hits)

Pat Zachry: The neat thing about Pat Zachry was that, during his Mets career, he bore a slight resemblance to my uncle, Zachary. My Google search turned up someone selling a "Pat Zachary" 1981 Topps card (the resemblance to my uncle is more clear on the 1980) for $26.10. I think the decimal point is in the wrong place. ("Pat Zachary"-- 366 Google hits)

That's my initial list at this point. Feel free to comment with any others.

True Metbayanis know...The 5 Mets who were native Hawaiians are Benny Agbayani, Ron Darling, Carlos Diaz, Sid Fernandez, and Tyler Yates, but obviously Agbayani is the only one with a walk-off hit...The other cool tidbit is that in all three Mets win in that NLDS, the final Giants out was registered by Barry Bonds.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best Games I Know: Phillies (Updated)

  The best wins against the Phillies in Mets history …   May 5, 2022 – Mets 8, Phillies 7 The Mets score 7 runs in the 9 th inning to overcome a 7-1 deficit and win in Philadelphia.   April 29, 2022 – Mets 3, Phillies 0 Tylor Megill and 4 Mets relievers combine on the second no-hitter in franchise history.   September 22, 2016 – Mets 9, Phillies 8 (11) The Mets tie it in the 9 th on a Jose Reyes home run and win it in the 11 th on a 3-run home run by Asdrubal Cabrera.   July 17, 2016 - Mets 5, Phillies 0 Jacob deGrom pitches a one-hitter. Only hit is a single by Zach Eflin in the 5 th inning.   August 24, 2015 – Mets 16, Phillies 7 David Wright homers in his first at-bat in more than 4 months. The Mets hit a team-record 8 home runs.   July 5, 2012 – Mets 6, Phillies 5 The Mets score 2 runs with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9 th to beat Jonathan Papelbon. The winning run scores on David Wright’s bloop down the right field line.   August 13

The best Mets ejections I know

When you think of the Mets and famous ejections, I'm guessing you first think of the famous Bobby Valentine mustache game, when after Valentine got tossed, he returned to the dugout in disguise. You know it. You love it. I remember being amused when I asked Bobby V about it while we were working on Baseball Tonight, how he simply said "It worked. We won the game." (true) But the Bobby V mustache game of June 9, 1999 is one of many, many memorable Mets ejection stories. And now thanks to Retrosheet and the magic of Newspapers.com , we have a convenient means for being able to share them. Ever since Retrosheet's David Smith recently announced that the Retrosheet ejection database was posted online , I've been a kid in a candy store. I've organized the data and done some lookups of media coverage around the games that interested me post. Those newspaper accounts fill in a lot of blanks. Without further ado (and with more work to do), here are some of my findings

Walk-Offs in Movies, TV, and Other Places

Note: I'm leaving this post up through the end of the week, a) because I don't have time to pump out something new and b)because I was hoping to build a really good list of entertainment industry walk-offs...so if you're looking for something new, check back on Monday or so... Of course, if there's a major trade or move, I'll adjust and try to post something... In the meantime, click on the "Table of Contents" link as well. It has been updated. SPOILER ALERT: Read at your own risk Caught the ending of "A League of Their Own" on one of the movie channels the other day and it got me to thinking that it would be fun to compile a list of walk-offs from movies, television, and other forms of entertainment. Here's the start, and only the start, as I spent about 30 minutes or so thinking it over Help me fill in the blanks by filling out the comments section. "A League of Their Own"-- Racine beats Rockford for the All-American Girls Profess