Skip to main content

Walk Off and Walk Away

I should always trust my first instinct.

When Tom Glavine signed with the Mets, my first instinct was that this was a bad move. I had some reasonable statistical evidence to back up this conclusion, as his performance at the end of his Braves career was not stellar. I also had a strong gut feeling that bringing someone from the Braves in as a mercenary, one clearly only here for the money, was a bad idea. In 2003, he went out and proved that I was right. His work during the Art Howe error (not era) was miserable.

I told this to anyone and everyone who asked, and throughout his Mets tenure, I've had very little positive to say about Tom Glavine. As Glavine's performances got better, I've been questioned about my comments, but I've always held steadfast to a strong dislike. I've just never really felt that he enjoyed his Metness.

I applauded out of respect when he took the mound for his first start at Shea Stadium after winning his 300th game. I don't dispute that Glavine was a Cooperstown-worthy pitcher and I'm grateful for the playoff games he won last season, but I just could never fully embrace him as a real Met.

On Saturday night and on through into an IM conversation I had with my dad about an hour before gametime Sunday, I decided that I was going to support Glavine to the fullest extent possible. I went as far as to utter the following statement.

"He is the right man to be pitching this game."

As it turned out, that was an accurate assessment. Because nothing represented the patheticity of the past few weeks than Tom Glavine's showing on Sunday. It was a complete meltdown. One person watching the game with me noticed after Hanley Ramirez's at-bat (one in which Glavine was gifted a second chance and pissed it away by walking Ramirez) that Glavine's "stuff" was non-existent. Lefty Williams pitched better in Game 8 of the 1919 World Series than Glavine did (baseball historians should appreciate that reference) and Williams was trying to lose on purpose. Trying to figure out which was worse- the throwing error or hitting Dontrelle Willis with the bases loaded- was like asking me which Met I liked better, Bobby Bonilla or Vince Coleman.

The beauty of this whole thing is that it's now in Tom Glavine's hands as to whether or not he wants to remain a Met, and he can really stick it to the team by accepting his player option for $13 million, thus hindering potential offseason maneuvers to find his replacement and better the team.

I had an interesting conversation with a former baseball player recently, and he told me he was teaching his son not to boo his team at games. I think that's fantastic and I try to set a good example. When I go to a game, I'm a clapper, not a booer (except with Chipper Jones). But it would have required incredible restraint to keep me from booing Glavine on Sunday. If Glavine returns next season, his presence will remind fans of the memories of this game and that will linger, much like I felt that Carlos Beltran's final at-bat in 2006 was the ghost that haunted the team throughout this season. I told a number of Mets fans I knew that I felt certain that 2007 would have a very unhappy ending, one that could be traced all the way back to Game 7 of 2006. In the end, I think I was right.

We don't need him here. We don't need him here in 2008. We don't need him here at any OldTimers Days or Shea Stadium celebrations. Convince Tom Glavine that the right thing to do is cash in the buyout and sign with the Braves (his legacy with their fans is untarnished, and rightfully so, considering he did win the clinching game of a World Series for them), or announce his retirement and be heard from again when Cooperstown comes calling. That's a good first step and one far more appropriate than the ridiculous suggestion to fire Willie Randolph.

In other words, I'm hopeful that Glavine's walk off the Shea mound on Sunday was his last with the Mets.

Comments

Anonymous said…
You had me up till the don't fire Randolph part. Yankee go home!
-- JBF
metsnyc said…
If Glavine signs with the Braves, he will throw away any goodwill he earned with Met fans. Not that it was that much anyways. I cheered for him because of the name on the front of his jersey of course but let's see what his future holds.

I'm a clapper not a booer myself, and it was sad to hear fans boo Reyes yesterday, but he has somewhat earned it lately. Regardless, let's clean the slate and start with this as motivation in 2008. Ugh.
Anonymous said…
What a brutal way to go into the final year of Shea. First, a carryover season, then fewer seats with higher prices. Rough, very rough.
-- JBF

Popular posts from this blog

Best Games I Know: Phillies (Updated)

  The best wins against the Phillies in Mets history …   May 5, 2022 – Mets 8, Phillies 7 The Mets score 7 runs in the 9 th inning to overcome a 7-1 deficit and win in Philadelphia.   April 29, 2022 – Mets 3, Phillies 0 Tylor Megill and 4 Mets relievers combine on the second no-hitter in franchise history.   September 22, 2016 – Mets 9, Phillies 8 (11) The Mets tie it in the 9 th on a Jose Reyes home run and win it in the 11 th on a 3-run home run by Asdrubal Cabrera.   July 17, 2016 - Mets 5, Phillies 0 Jacob deGrom pitches a one-hitter. Only hit is a single by Zach Eflin in the 5 th inning.   August 24, 2015 – Mets 16, Phillies 7 David Wright homers in his first at-bat in more than 4 months. The Mets hit a team-record 8 home runs.   July 5, 2012 – Mets 6, Phillies 5 The Mets score 2 runs with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9 th to beat Jonathan Papelbon. The winning run scores on David Wright’s bloop down the right field line.   August 13

The best Mets ejections I know

When you think of the Mets and famous ejections, I'm guessing you first think of the famous Bobby Valentine mustache game, when after Valentine got tossed, he returned to the dugout in disguise. You know it. You love it. I remember being amused when I asked Bobby V about it while we were working on Baseball Tonight, how he simply said "It worked. We won the game." (true) But the Bobby V mustache game of June 9, 1999 is one of many, many memorable Mets ejection stories. And now thanks to Retrosheet and the magic of Newspapers.com , we have a convenient means for being able to share them. Ever since Retrosheet's David Smith recently announced that the Retrosheet ejection database was posted online , I've been a kid in a candy store. I've organized the data and done some lookups of media coverage around the games that interested me post. Those newspaper accounts fill in a lot of blanks. Without further ado (and with more work to do), here are some of my findings

Walk-Offs in Movies, TV, and Other Places

Note: I'm leaving this post up through the end of the week, a) because I don't have time to pump out something new and b)because I was hoping to build a really good list of entertainment industry walk-offs...so if you're looking for something new, check back on Monday or so... Of course, if there's a major trade or move, I'll adjust and try to post something... In the meantime, click on the "Table of Contents" link as well. It has been updated. SPOILER ALERT: Read at your own risk Caught the ending of "A League of Their Own" on one of the movie channels the other day and it got me to thinking that it would be fun to compile a list of walk-offs from movies, television, and other forms of entertainment. Here's the start, and only the start, as I spent about 30 minutes or so thinking it over Help me fill in the blanks by filling out the comments section. "A League of Their Own"-- Racine beats Rockford for the All-American Girls Profess